Friday, November 4, 2016

South Harbor Village Marina to Grande Dunes Marina

 Day 37, Thursday, November 3, 2016

You can monitor my trip at the link: Second Winds Progress Live



Today turned into a long slog.  It started just after sunup and ended just as it was turning dark.  More on that later. Our trip today was along relatively narrow rivers that wind through southern North Carolina and into South Carolina.  The trip traveled through more flat land and marshes with homes anywhere they could find solid ground to place them.

Barrier Island Condos
As we travel south, the barrier islands are always to our left, port side, and I am fascinated by the side by side condos that line those ocean facing beaches.  They pack the landscape.  Further inland, on our right, the homes range from the old houses that were built early on to the mega mansions
Wrecked shrimp trawler
 that have moved in with new moneys.  I remember seeing the same thing down in Florida. 

We started seeing remnants of the damage caused by Hurricane Mathew.  Most of what we have seen so far is damage to older docks. However, as I was approaching our destination I began to see tall living trees lying in the water.  On the trip today, I saw two shrimp trawlers that had been sunk presumably by the
And another
storm.

Bridge height is still a problem for some of our group.  The bridges are for the most part advertised to be 65 feet above the high water mark but with some of the flood waters still draining out from up country, these heights are suspect.  Most all of them have a miter board that gives the height between the water and the bridge.   

As you might imagine, this is somewhat of a sweat for some of our skippers.  The damage caused by striking a bridge is really catastrophic.  Today, 4 boats chose to
An elephant crawling up my back
move out into the open ocean and bypass a section of the Waterway that included 4 bridges.  There were still about 4 or 5 more that they had to pass under on the
remainder of the trip.

The boats that went “outside” reentered the Waterway via the Little River Entrance.  From the entrance, the ICW follows the Little River for quite a long ways.  I had a following tide when I came to that
Pelican sculpture near Barefoot Landing
juncture but when I crossed to the other side the current was on my nose.  The tide was falling and heading back to the ocean by way of the Little River Entrance.  I had that current in my face for the next 16 miles.  At no time did is see a speed above 4 knots even with the engine running at high speed.  Most of the time it was between 3.2 and 3.8 knots.  I burned an inordinate amount of fuel to travel just that short distance.

A Maga home in Grande Dune SC
Upon my arrival, I was greeted by several members of our group who obviously knew of my situation with the current.  They had also experienced it but they still got there quite a bit earlier than I.  Sam and Phil didn’t get in until around 7:00.  They traveled the last couple of miles in the dark.  As I said earlier, it was a long day.

Sunset from the entrance of Grande Dune SC
I was invited to dine with Jack and Diane on their beautiful big Jeanneau, Valentine.  Jack prepared a beautiful salad with all forms of fresh vegetables and Diane fixed a wonderful chicken thigh dish which included lemon zest and artichokes.  She also roasted carrots.  I will tell you, life is really different on a big boat.  We enjoyed a glass of wine in their spacious cockpit while jazz was piped though their stereo speakers.  I brought along the fixings for a blob carrot cake which turned out well.

I finally headed back to Second Wind at around 9:00 for another night of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment