Friday, November 11, 2016

And another day in Charleston

Day 44, Thursday, November 10, 2016

You can monitor my trip at the link: Second Winds Progress Live


A snowy egret and great egret.  The great caught and is eating a crab
Another day in Charleston.  I finally got to eat a hot breakfast.  Since I didn’t eat out last night, I allowed myself sausage gravy on toast to start my day.  I then spent time publishing my blog and planning the next phase of our trip with Sam and Phil.  

Today, Phil leaves to head back to Vermont where he has a studio in which he creates amazing art work.  He shared with me his website and pictures of some of his work.  His most ambitious project was a window in a museum in Roanoke, VA.  It is a leaded glass that extends 45 feet.  The picture that he showed me is a highly detailed steam engine pulling a number of cars.  I share with you his website that shows a picture of the concept with a small window of the completed project.  It is amazing.   http://www.philgodenschwager.com/
I also need to add a picture that Sam took of the huge container ship that bounced me the other day.  It speaks for itself.
Second Wind pushing an elephant

After lunch, I walked over to the aircraft carrier, Yorktown, and spent several hours touring it.  It is a nice museum of a WWII era ship that was decommissioned in 1970.  A local preservation society has done a nice job keeping it up and adding a number of aircraft from the WWII era to planes that are still in service today.  They also have the USS Clamagore, a diesel-electric submarine,that was built in 1945 and decommissioned in 1973.  I took the time to wander through her as well.  By the time I left the Clamagore, my feet were tired so
I realize it says Marines but
I did not take the tour of the third vessel that they have there. 

The USS Laffey, dubbed “The ship that wouldn’t die,” was built in Bath Iron Works in 1943 and was decommissioned in 1975.  She is a 375 foot destroyer that saw service in WWII, and Korea.  During the battle of Okinawa, she was attack and nearly sunk by Kamikaze aircraft. 

After a brief rest, I went back to Patriots Point, the park where the museum ships
The Clamagore and the marina
are moored to visit a Viet Nam war display.  It was basically an army display showing how the GIs lived, ate, fought and survived.  They had several helicopters, a tank, jeep, and truck.  They had only a few photos of aircraft raining down bombs and rockets on the jungle.
And a great blue heron in the tidal mud

The group again gathered for dinner at the Fish House Restaurant which is located near the entrance to the marina.  This is a loud lively group who really has a great time when they gather.  I enjoyed a bowl of she crab soup and shrimp and grits.  Again, it was a filling meal that will require Cheerios tomorrow for breakfast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment