Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Beaufort to Mile Hammock Bay

Day 32, Satuday, October 29, 2016

You can monitor my trip at the link: Second Winds Progress Live


Today was a traveling day.  We were originally planning on spending one more night in Beaufort, however, the schedule indicates that we would have a relatively short day on Sunday then a long day on Monday.  The other small boat, the schedule indicates that we will have a relatively short day on Sunday then a long day on Monday.  The other small boat, Sweet Pea, and I don’t do long days well especially if we have some sort of difficulty along the way. The Sweet Pea travels at about 4.2 knots and I average around 5 knots.  The Monday trip is slated to be over 50 miles meaning that we would need to leave before sunup and possibly head into an anchorage or marina after dark.

So Sam, the Pea’s skipper had found a good anchorage in about the middle of the 50 mile trek. We decided to head for the village of Swansboro today then on Sunday, head to an anchorage called Mile Hammock Bay Anchorage and finally to Wrightsville Beach Marina of Tuesday.  Our group leader is a bit uneasy about our doing this because he has scheduled a big shindig in Swansboro for Sunday night.   We decided that it was more important to make three short travel days than a short one and a long one.

Sam and Phil rolled out at about 7:00 and I followed at about 9:00.  We are finally traveling in areas that have significant tidal current so the effect on our SOG, speed over ground, is very noticeable.  At one point the tide was pushing me along at about 6.7 knots when I passed an ocean inlet and got the tide on the nose.  My speed dropped to around 4 knots. 

As I approached the town of Swansboro, a came upon a bridge, the waters on either side of which were jammed packed with, I would estimate, fifty fishing boats.  Most were anchored and the rest were weaving in and out at high speeds causing the water to boil like a cauldron.  It was amazing.  These guys had no qualms about passing within 15 feet of my boat wide open.  Even in the passage under the bridge where huge “No Wake” signs were posted, the folks would roar through shaking the bejeebies out of me. 

At about that time, I noticed that I had a text from Sam and Phil telling me that they were going to bypass Swansboro and head straight for Mile Hammock Bay.   The current in the anchorage at Swansboro was quite strong not the best for holding a small boat.  Our guide book indicated that the currents there could reach to over 2 knots so I slogged on.  Mile Hammock was only about 13 miles further down the way.

About 6 miles from Swansboro, I entered into the Camp Lejeune compound.  The camp is situated on both sides of the ICW.  The first indication that you have entered their zone is a huge sign warning of possible live fire across the waterway.  There were large lights that flash when the waterway is closed.  There are also numerous signs warning that the grounds had unexploded ammunition and the keep off.  Most of what we saw was a small complex of buildings and a lot of swamp land. 

I had not seen Sweet Pea since I left Beaufort but near Camp Lejeune, I heard a woman talking to Towboat US about needing a tow off of a grounding. I came upon Sam and Phil firmly stuck on the side of the waterway.  The towboat arrived at that time and I hung around until he had pulled them off.  They were stuck so firmly that I doubt that I could have helped had I arrived earlier.
Also, further down the Way, we came upon a place that the folks transiting before us had warned that it was badly shoaled and provided advice on how to pass.  Since I draw less water, I slowed down and led Sweet Pea through without incident.  I radioed depths to them as I passed through and the shallowest that I found was 8 feet of water. 

We pulled into Mile Hammock Bay at about 5:30, dropped anchor.  I fixed beef tips and noodles and GREEN BEANS.  After dinner, I motored over, picked up Sam and Phil in the Damn Dink Too and brought them to my boat where we enjoyed a glass of wine while we prepared a spice blob cake.  I took them back to their boat in time for me to make my 9:00 bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment