Sunday, November 13, 2016

Steamboat Creek to Beauford, SC

Day 46, Saturday, November 12, 2016


You can monitor my trip at the link: Second Winds Progress Live


Passing through a bascule bridge
I awoke to a cold windy morning.  We had a fairly long trip scheduled for the day so I decided to weigh the anchor at first light and be on my way.  The current in our anchorage had changed directions at least twice during our stay so the anchor was deeply embedded.  I had to use the motor to help me get it up. I had checked the marine forecast before I left and the wind that they predicted to be between 15 to 20 knots with gusts was there to greet me as I motored away.  I was also layered up for warmth but I was still uncomfortable.

One of many beautiful home site along the Waterway
Once out of the creek where we had spent the night we entered an area of open water with a long fetch so the waves were probably running over three feet with an occasional big guy roaring through.  I was traveling across the waves so the boat rocked somewhat wildly from side to side.  After a mile or so, my course turned south putting the wind at my back so the ride became less bumpy. 

Later in the morning, we moved into a long stretch of water with the wind still at our backs. I decided to unfurl the jib.  The bigger boats in front of me were all continuing to travel without sails but I figured that it might give me a bit of extra speed and I was not disappointed.  The tide was also flowing in my favor so I was rewarded with speeds averaging over 7 knots and at one point I was 8.5 knots on
My friend Bobby in Going Places
my chartplotter. As I looked back, I noticed that all of the boats that were following me were also flying their jibs.

I never really warmed up all day.  The sun stayed hidden behind an overcast sky so it was of no help.  Luckily the wind was always at my back so at least the forward motion of the boat reduced its bite somewhat.

Today for lunch, I broke out my contraband packet of Spam for a truly enjoyable meal.  I slathered mayo on a tortilla and folded it into a perfect spam taco.  It can’t get much better than that.
The waterfront in Beauford, SC

Having favorable tides, I arrived at Beaufort SC at about 1:30.  The marina where we planned to stay was busy securing incoming boats so I had to hang round in the river for about 30 minutes before they could assist me into my slip.  Again the current is quite strong here but my landing was quite smooth.  The dock hand wanted to turn the boar around 180 degrees so the tied a line onto my stern, let me float back out of the slip and when I swung around, he, with the help of my motor pulled me back into place.  It wasn’t especially pretty but we got what he wanted.

Today, a former student and good friend of mine, Dwight Saunders, flew in from
A beautiful on 1929 Redbank at Beaufort Municipal Marina
Ann Arbor MI to join me for the final two weeks of the trip. During my third year of teaching, Dwight served as my lab assistant.  At that time, I was doing a bit of racing and happened to invite him to join me as crew.  It sparked a passion similar to mine.  Over the years he has owned at least three sailboats and currently sails a 23 foot trimaran. It will be great to have a companion to join me on this experience. 

Dwight arrived at the dock at about 5:30 so we hunted down a local restaurant for a relatively light meal.  I had a French dip sandwich which was just the right amount so that I will be able to eat my sausage gravy breakfast tomorrow morning. 

We talked until after my curfew.  Dwight is an ultra late-nighter and I fall asleep during conversations after 9:00.  This will be interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment