Saturday, November 12, 2016

Charleston to Steamboat Creek Anchorage

Day 45, Friday, November 11, 2016

You can monitor my trip at the link: Second Winds Progress Live


Today was a travel day.  And again, it was a Cheerios morning.  The marina in Charleston has so much current that one needs to be fairly close to slack water in the tidal cycle to make an escape.  That time didn’t come until around 10:00 so I literally twiddled my thumbs until about 9:15 when I decided that I could make it
A beautiful old home on the Ashley River, Charleston SC 
easily.

The current was flowing directly into my stern.  The lane in which the boat was parked is relatively wide so my plan was to back straight across to the oppositeide of the lane which would leave me plenty of room to make the turn out before he current bashed me against the boats on the other side.  Four folks from our group arrived to help me off and I failed to impart my plan with them so as I began backing out, they took hold of my bow pulpit and at the last moment swung me sideways.  I slammed the motor into forward and gunned it narrowly missing the anchor of the boat in the next slip.  Dink ran interference between my boat and the anchor boat. She got squeezed a bit but she prevented a damaging collision. I got up enough speed to easily make my exit from there.  Luckily the scoring committee was not present to rate my departure or I would have gotten a fairly low score.

As I have mention, the tidal current is frequently a problem.  The tide was ebbing as I passed down Charleston Harbor but as I turned up the Ashley River, the flow was on my nose and my speed was drastically reduced to about 3 knots.  Several miles into the Waterway, we encounter an extremely narrow patch of water called Elliot’s Cut. Heading into the cut I was making about 3.5 knots but the current in the Cut was flowing probably between 4 and 5 knots so with the engine running wide open, I could only make about 1 to 1.5 knots. Luckily the cut was only about 200 yards long and I made it without incident.

The rest of the trip to our anchorage in Steamboat Creek was relatively uneventful although most of the time the current kept the pace to between 3 and 4 knots.  The sky was hazy for what I assume was smoke.  I hear no news so I haven’t heard of fires. 

I pulled into Steamboat Creek at about 4:30 after traveling about 30 miles.  I understand that this tidal current will only get worse as we travel south.  We have a 33 mile trip tomorrow and I think I will be on my way at first light.

As I was getting my evening meal arranged, Frank, the skipper of the huge catamaran, Let It Be, came up alongside in his dinghy and invited me to join him and his wife, Mary Grace for a tomato soup and corn casserole dinner.  I quickly accepted.  We enjoyed a wonderful meal and had great conversation.  Their boat is beautiful and roomy.  We dined in elegance on the back deck.  The mast on their boat is too tall to clear the bridges on the Waterway so they had it shipped to Florida so that they could make this trip.  They live full time on their boat. They are really fine folks and I enjoyed the evening immensely. 

I left their boat about 8:30 and headed back to Second Wind.  I had dropped my anchor in shallow water quite a distance from the other boats and my little 2.2 Honda had to work a bit to push me back against the ebbing tide.  I made it back in time to get into bed by curfew.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment