Wednesday, November 16, 2016

From Beaufort to Wind Mill Marina

Day 48, Monday, November 14, 2016

You can monitor my trip at the link: Second Winds Progress Live


We awoke to a cold misty day.  The current in the marina was flowing quite strongly so departure was not an immediate option.  I was backed into my slip with the current coming towards my stern.  The problem was that just across the alley were a number of other boats and to pull out under power, I would need to get up to a speed faster than the current before I would have steerage. And by the time I could steer, I would be crashing into the other boats.  So we waited.

We are seeing dolphins almost every day
When the current was down to about 1 knot, I decided to make a run for it.  We cast off our lines, powered forward and as I was leaving the alleyway, I skimmed past the last boat with less than 1 foot of clearance between my stern rail and his anchor.  Whoooo Haaaaa!

Out in the Waterway, we had traveled about a mile when I went to have a drink of coffee.  I realized that I had left my wonderful stainless steel coffee mug sitting on the dock where I had been helping another boater off.  So, back to the marina where I recovered my lost mug.

The first few miles of the trip were cold.  The cloudy misty atmosphere into which we were heading was quite uncomfortable.  I had finally broken out my down
A large dredge at the entrance to Skull Creek
jacket and had put on my long johns so except for my face, I was warm.  We finally turned south which placed the wind at our back.  We were also running with a fairly swift tide so the effects of the wind were minimal.  We were traveling down the wide expansive Beaufort River at over 6 knots.

From the Beaufort River, we swung northwest into Port Royal Sound and the Chechessee River.  There, the tides were heading in our face and our speed immediately dropped down to about 2 knots.  We traveled about 2 miles in that current until we were able to turn west
The entrance to the lock at Windmill Harbor
into Skull Creek which forms the west bank of Hilton Head Island. 

Skull Creek is a winding shallow river that meanders past small islands and salt flats.  At one point, Dwight was piloting the boat and I was resting on the v-berth when I head the motor idle down.  I got up to see that we had come up behind a large cruising catamaran. Dwight was not sure that there was enough room between the big boat and a lateral channel marker.  I took over the helm, powered up, and squeezed between the boat and the marker. I immediately turned to
Sweet Pea heading into the lock
starboard to assure that I wasn’t in the boats way and ran aground solidly!  I didn’t look ahead at the chart and the next markers and missed the fact that there was a large shoal just past the point where I had passed the cat.  Running aground for us is not a big problem.  I reached over and hit the switch to raise the keel and we were again on our way.

About a mile down the river, we came to the entrance of our destination marina.  This high end place has built a set of lock that captures high tides and impounds the waters to make a calm harbor.  We pulled into the narrow lock where they had vertical fenders that extended from the top of the lock chamber to below the water line.  The lock hands also threw a mooring line to us.  We were coming in at low tide so the lock raised us up about 6 feet.  We then motored out into our assigned slip.  There was not
The beautiful South Carolina Yacht Club
current or not with which we would have to contend. 

Later, at around 4:30 we headed to the very exclusive home of one of the residents of the gated community for a pizza party.  This fellow and his wife are volunteers for the marina and they gave us a wonderful welcoming party.  The view from their beautiful home is a 270 degree panorama of the salt marshes and Waterway.  The home and setting were amazing.

We socialized with these wonderful folks until about 8:00 at which time we walked the ¾ miles back to the boats.  I showered in the fancy shower house before heading to bed at 9:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment