Thursday, November 10, 2016

A Day in Charleston, SC

Day 43, Wednesday, November 10, 2016

You can monitor my trip at the link: Second Winds Progress Live


Today was spent in and around the city of Charleston.  For breakfast I again ate Cheerios to compensate for the huge meal that I enjoyed last evening.  I then typed
The view from our marina.  The Yorktown
my blog but as usual, I was unable to post it because of the weak and intermittent WiFi service on the dock. The excuse that this marina uses is that their antennas were damaged in the hurricane.  However, this marina is in an exclusive resort and we have privileges throughout the facility so we were advised to use the internet service in the lobby of the hotel. It was a strong fast signal.  It was great not to have to struggle to get the blog posted.

Heeeeerrrrrreeeeee'ssssss Trevor
I also began looking for way to get back to Annapolis and my truck.  I checked on a one-way car rental but it is really expensive.  I considered flying but that was also quite pricey.  Someone mentioned Amtrak and it turns out that not only is it reasonably priced, it connects Jacksonville with Baltimore-Washington International airport where my friend Stuart suggested that he could pick me up.  My original plan was to travel to St. Austine but it is my understanding that they are still struggling with
An entrance to the Charleston City Market
storm damage and I could not verify that Amtrak passed through there so I think Jacksonville will be a better choice to pull out.

After lunch, I caught the free shuttle from the resort to downtown Charleston.  I began my tour by walking through the central market.  The most prominent item for sale are the baskets and flowers that are woven from reed grasses.  The women sit and weave while
manning their booths.  There is also a plethora of jewelry, t-shirts, ornaments, sunglasses, signs, food stuff, and on.  I found nothing that I absolutely had to have. 

Janine and I had visited Charleston probably 10 years ago with another couple.  As we were walking down a street admiring the beautiful old homes, a horse drawn carriage came by with a tour guide explaining the history and significance of various structures that they were passing.  We decided that in order to get a better
Site of South Carolina's signing of the Ordinance of Secession
understanding of what we were seeing, we needed to take a carriage tour as well.  With that thought in mind, I also booked a tour and was fortunate to have the front seat behind a beautiful Percheron named Trevor.  Our guide was well informed and entertaining.  The tour lasted about an hour and he covered history, culture, industry, religion and many other aspects of the life and times of Charleston.

At the end of the tour, I rewalked a significant portion of the trip heading mainly
One of the beautiful historic homes along the Charleston waterfront
towards the battery.  I took the time to read plaques and historical markers that 
added detail to what I had heard on the tour.  My walk ended back at the Market at the Ben and Jerry’s ice cream store where our shuttle dropped us off and was scheduled to return us to the resort.  Of course, I
On of the mortar emplacements along the battery
had to sample some of a bourbon chocolate chunk ice cream that Ben and his partner had prepared just for me.  I also found a shop that made, according to the sign, the best pralines in Charleston.  The one I had was surely a contest winner.

Back at the boat I rested my tired “dogs” before I prepared a beef tips and
And beautiful gardens
noodles meal.  I tried to read but kept falling asleep so I got up and did my laundry.  I finally finished folding my clothes in time to make my 9:00 curfew.  
 
Fountain at the Battery

No comments:

Post a Comment