Sunday, November 6, 2016

A Day in Historic Georgetown


Day 40, Sunday, November 6, 2016

You can monitor my trip at the link: Second Winds Progress Live


Today was a super day. Typically our layover days have been somewhat of a drag but today was special.  It was cold last night.  I slept in my thermal underwear to keep warm.  I arose at around 5:00 which turned out to be 4:00 because of the shift back to standard time.  I fixed coffee and at left over cake for breakfast.  I typed my blog and by the time I finished, I was uncomfortably cold.  So I crawled back under the covers and slept for another hour.  I awoke to a dawning morning.

the Prince George Winyah Episcopal church
I decided that since all of my early morning chores were done, I would take a stroll through this lovely town.  I started out down a long street lined with overhanging huge live oak trees.  Dotted throughout were huge beautiful old homes that were built by wealthy plantation owners.  The pre-revolutionary war and antebellum homes have been beautifully maintained.  I came across the Prince George Winyah Episcopal church which was built about 1750 with bricks from the ballast from British ships.  I wandered through the old cemetery that has many tombstones dating in the early 1800s. 


From there I walked back to the historic main street in search for some fresh coffee to refill my empty cup.  I came upon Aunny’s Restaurant.  I went in to check it out and found myself in a southern black restaurant.  I asked to see the menu and ordered grits, two eggs, two patties of sausage and toast.  The walls were covered with artwork and posters of local black artists.  It was a really neat place with fast friendly service and great food.  When I got ready to pay, I realized that I had walked away from the boat with absolutely no money or wallet.  I explained my situation to the waitress and offered to leave my camera as collateral.  She nicely agreed.  When I returned she told me that she knew that I would be back. Of course she did have my camera.

I spent the rest of the morning visiting with friends of the group and I also sat in on a class on rope splicing put on by one the fellows.

Later, a number of us returned to the center of town where they were having a oyster roast.  For $20.00 you could have all of the oysters you could shuck and eat plus hotdogs, lemonade and water.  The local Catholic Church had a beer booth and some young ladies were selling baked goods as a fund raiser scholarships for a local private school.  It turned out that all proceeds from the roast went to the fund.  I spent an hour opening and eating steamed oysters as fast as I could.  When I got to the point that I couldn’t stuff another oyster down my gullet, I sat at a table with a large contingency from the rally.  After a while, the sponsors of the feast began carrying out large trays of steam crabs.  I was so full I couldn’t partake in any. 

At about 4:00 when the event was winding down, I started back but somehow got sucked into Sweeties Ice Cream Shop for another dip of sea salty caramel ice cream.  When it melts and flows into your full stomach, it quietly slides into the spaces between the chunks of oysters.  So it’s OK.

Back at the boat, I decided to take a shower.  We have again been advised to head out early in the morning to catch favorable tides.  We will be stopping at an anchorage along the Waterway tomorrow night.  This is to break up of a 60 plus mile jaunt to Charleston.  Knowing that I won’t have internet service tomorrow, I decided to do my writing this evening.

I hope to be in bed by 9:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment