Thursday, October 13, 2016

Solomon Islands to Smith Island



Day 15 Wednesday, October 12, 2016 

You can monitor my trip at the link: Second Winds Progress Live


 A foggy morning has broken in the Solomon Islands
Today was a great day.  I slept in knowing that I had a relatively short travel day.  My goal was to head for the small Smith Island that is located only 28 miles from the Solomon Islands.  My computer decided to update and so I was delayed in writing my blog for over an hour.  I also needed to check in at the marina so by the time I got all of the other boat chores accomplished, it was 10:00 before I dropped the mooring ball tether and headed for the next dock south for fuel. 
Pelicans enjoying red buoy 72A

I tied my two new fully loaded 5 gallon fuel bottles to the side of the boat and now have the look of a true cruising sailor.  Folks who cruise frequently have 5 or 6 of these containers lashed to the deck in preparation for long voyages.

Again today, the water was calm and there was no wind.  I did not raise the sails all day and although the small amount of wind that was present it was from behind me and I motored at a faster pace so the wind had no effect on my progress.

As I was traveling along, I noticed a huge ship that seemed to be moored in the
Derelict ship used for bombing practice
middle of the bay.  It didn’t look like any of the freighters that I have seen traversing these waters.  As I got closer, I began to wonder if it was in fact an old ship that had been grounded and abandoned.  I checked my chart and found that it was placed there by the Navy and used for bombing practice.  I was aware of a large Navy presence in the area.  On the other side of the Patuxent River from the Solomon Islands is the large Patuxent Naval Air Station.  The runway of the station aims out
What I saw a lot of today!
over the bay so as I passed by, a number of, I assume, F-18 fighters took off over my head.  It brought back memories of my Air Force days back in the ‘60s.

Smith Island was first explored by Capt. John Smith in 1608.  During the Revolutionary Way, most of the inhabitants were British sympathizers called “picaroons” and according to my guide book were active pirates and raiders in the bay.  In the past, the speech of the local folks was laced with British accents but according to the guide book, the influence of TV, mainland education of the youth and social media that influence is fading.

The books explains that once the ferry that serves the island leaves, mooring is
An authentic crab shack on Smith Island
possible at their dock for free.  I wandered about trying to figure out where that dock was but with no signage for direction, I finally just picked a spot.  Once secure, I found a small sign instructing me to go to the General Store and pay $1.00/foot of boat length.  As I was headed into town looking for the store, I met a couple who like boaters walking a dog and I asked if there were the General Store was located.  They said that the lady in the local museum said that the Store had closed last spring and that the mooring was now free.  It turned out that these folks were the sailors from the large catamaran that was moored directly behind me.  We carried on a 20
The now closed Rukes Jeneral Store
minute conversation.  Back at the boat, I decided to invite them over for a glass of wine.  

Jim Zinn and Fankie Thomson did join me along with their daughter, Sophia, who was to be in the 7th grade but was instead being home schooled on the boat.  The interesting couple were from Washington DC.  They had sold their car, rented out their house and were heading out for a yearlong cruise that is to include time in the Caribbean.   They brought along hors
The ferry landing where I spent the night next to the Finns Catamaran
d’oeuvres of cheese and apples and later crab cakes.  We together baked a blob triple chocolate cake and spent the rest of the evening enjoying each other’s company.

After they left, I worked out a plan for my next three days which will place me in Hampton VA in time for me to meet our departure deadline.  I made it to bed by my usual 9:00 hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment