Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Annapolis to the Solomon Islands



Day 14, Tuesday, October 11, 2016

You can monitor my trip at the link: Second Winds Progress Live

Today is the big day.  I started my adventure of solo sailing down the Intracoastal Waterway.  I didn’t sleep well last night.  I finally crawled out of the bed at around 4:00.  I worked on the blog, checked my route to the Solomon Islands again for the 7th time, fixed breakfast and it was still only 6:00.  I had set my departure time for 8:00 so that Jim could help me cast off.  Finally at 7:45 I walked over to Jim’s boat and he poured me a cup of coffee as I passed through the doorway. In the conversation that ensued, I mentioned that it was recommended that we pick up extra fuel storage because marinas in the Hurricane ravaged areas may not have electricity and therefore would not be able to pump gas.  Jim offered that we run
What can I say!
back out to West Marine so I could pick up a couple of 5 gallon gasoline cans. 

The one thing that I didn’t bring is some form of warm footwear.  So, while I was at the West, I also bought a pair of warm high top shoes.  It’s only money!

We cast off the lines at 8:00 and I motored out into a glassy harbor in a bright sunny sky.  Once out in the bay, I turned south and was greeted with a nice north easterly breeze so I put up the sails, shut down the motor and enjoyed about two hours of sailing before the wind died.

My AIS system said he was traveling at 12 plus knots  He shook up the waters
As I traveled along, I was aware of probably 5 sailboats within my view at any one time that were also heading south.  Heading north, there were numerous large power boats all heading for Annapolis for the powerboat show that begins at the end of the week. 

At around 2:00 in the afternoon, I noticed a large ship heading in my direction at a relatively high rate of speed. It turned out to be some sort of navy cruiser.  He was obviously watching me because after he passed, he changed course to cross behind me. 

By the time I reached the inlet the Patuxent River, the bay had become glassy smooth with absolutely no wind.  It made travel and the spotting of crab trap floats easy.  I swung into the river and headed about 2 miles north to where Back Creek and Mill Creek join to enter the Patuxent and form the Solomons.  Much like the port of Annapolis, the area is crowded with marinas and boats.  I called the Zahniser marina requesting a mooring ball and the lady informed me that ther
The villanous crab trap float
e were possibly 3 left unoccupied.  Upon entering the crowded mooring field, there was only one left.  With no wind and current, catching the mooring lead was simple. 

After securing the boat, I put the motor onto Damn Dink Too and went looking for the dinghy dock.  A gentleman on the first boat that I passed offered that the dinghy dock was right next to my boat and that they had nice showers and a laundry.  The next boat guy that I passed suggested that there is a good restaurant within walking distance.  I had gotten out cheesy hamburger mac but a fresh crab cake sounded much better.  So, I started walking and at the first juncture, I took the wrong turn and after about a half mile I passed another West Marine.  I needed another boat hook.  Back when we were sailing near St Michaels and I hooked a
Sunset in the Solomon Islands
crab pot line, I tried to use one of my two boat hooks to get free.  Once free and sailing away, I realized that he hook had gone to “Davy Jones Locker” and was never to be seen again. I asked the clerk about the Stoney’s Kingfisher restaurant and he told me that I had made the mistaken turn.

I hiked back to the turn and on to Stoney’s where I enjoyed a crab cake, a cup of crab soup and Old Bay seasoned fries watered down with a local craft porter.  I love the Chesapeake!

Back at the boat I collected my laundry and shower paraphernalia and headed out.  The facility was really nice and I enjoyed a long hot shower.

I made it back to the boat in time to honor my 9:00 bed time.

No comments:

Post a Comment