Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Sandy Point to the Solomons

Day 25 Wednesday, May 10, 2017

You can monitor my trip at the link: Little Star's Progress Live


I realize that for the last number of days I have been whining about the not so
One of our permanent neighbors in our anchorage
perfect weather.  Too cold, too windy, seas too rough, etc.  Well, all that changed today.  It was a beautiful day.

We started early with pancakes and bacon.  We slept well in our little anchorage with a full moon shining in our bunk through the glass hatch above our heads.  The wind had died down so the water was absolutely calm.  When I got up, the temperature was 50 degrees as compared to the 37 that we encountered in Yorktown.  We knew it would be a great day!

We pulled the anchor at about 8:00 and headed out into the big waters in route for
A waterman wS
Add caption
cake for Maryland.  I wanted Janine to see this unique place, however, as we were approaching, I got out our guide book and noticed that the main channel in the village is dredged to 4 ½ feet depth.  Little Star has a depth of 4 ½ and since it is not my boat, I decided not to attempt it.

At about 5 miles from the island, we swung north and set our course on the Solomons.  The area where we turned was a field of crab pot floats and for the next
Smith Point Light
5 miles we dodged these things.  The seas were quite calm with a few left over rollers from the windy days and there was a light breeze blowing at about 8 knots.  Since it was still early in the day and the Solomons were only about 25 miles away, we decided to hoist the sails.  We had a following breeze that moved us along at between 3 and 4 knots.  It was great moving along without the noise of the diesel. 
The wind began to drop off at about noon and the water became glassy so we had
One of three big freighters that passed us today.  I think it's ugly!
to drop the sails and start the motor.  We had motored along for a couple of hours when I noticed that the winds had again returned so we again raised the sails.  The air was warm and we finally got to travel in our shirt sleeves. 

As we approached the congested waters of the Patuxent River, I again dropped the sail and motored the rest of the way into the
And another.  Also a bit of ugly!
busy marina area.  In the creeks around the Solomons, our guide book lists 16 marinas all packing together.  This is quite the boater’s paradise.

We pulled into the first marina that we came to and took on a load of fuel.  This boat is really efficient.  I calculated that on this tank load, we averaged about ¾ gallons of fuel for each hour that we travel.  From there, we traveled on up Back Creek to the Zahnhiser’s Yacht Center where with Janine at the helm, we snagged a mooring ball on which we will spend the night.  I was surprised that we were the only boat in the mooring field but right next to us were
A little stowaway that joined us for a while.
probably 5 or 5 large boats anchored.  They wanted the protection of this area but didn’t want to pay the $30.00 that accompanies the mooring balls.  With that fee, however, one can dump his trash for free, use their dinghy dock and use their showers for free.  For those who chose to anchor out each of those services or facility carry a fee, all be it a moderate one.

I had to show another view of him.
The marina was closed when I went to check in so I didn’t have the code to get into the shower house.  I ran across a young lady who obviously was a racing sailor (I could tell by her clothes) who was willing to share the code with me. After our dinner of spaghetti and meat sauce, we both rowed the dink to the dinghy dock and hit the showers.  

On the way to register earlier, I noticed a 944 Porsche that looked identical to ours except that it was a newer model, was a turbo, and had custom wheels.  I took Janine back to see the car after we showered and as we were looking at it, the owner came out and as you can imagine, we had a great interesting conversation.

We rowed back to Little Star, read for a while and went to bed at our usual time.  Wow, what a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment