Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Return from Houghton and Trip Home


Day 27, August 26
We left Houghton fairly early and headed back for Sault Ste. Marie.  The trip was quite uneventful and we arrived around 1:00.  We returned the car and headed for the marina.  We began taking down sails and preparing the boat for dropping the mast.  The launch ramp that we could use to pull the boat out of the water is about a mile down the St. Mary’s River from the marina so I took the boat down while Janine took the truck.

Freighter in Sault Ste Marie
Pulling Boat from the Water
The set up at the ramp went fairly smoothly until we tried to move the boat all the way up on the trailer.  I realized that I had lost the pin that we use to attach the cable to the bow of the boat and I had to use a screw driver as a substitute pin.  We were having a really difficult time getting the boat all the way up on the trailer and finally the 3/16 steel winch cable broke.  I used vice grips to hold the cable so that I could get the boat far enough on the trailer to attach the safety chain.  When I finally got it up and got the chain attached, I released the pressure on the winch and the hook at the end of the safety chain straightened out and let go of the boat.  We decided that we could at least get the boat packaged for the trip the way it was.  We pulled the boat up into the lot and started taking down the mast.  At the same time, it decided it needed to rain and for the next three hours, we worked in the rain.  In the ole days when we were young, we could do that job in a bit over 2 hours. However, this time it took us about 5 hours and we weren’t done.  We still had to replace the winch cable and fix the safety chain.  We changed out of our drenched clothing in the truck and began trying to find a Lowe’s or Menards to get the cable.   Neither of these are in Sault Ste. Marie.  We tried Wall-Mart and ran across a former employee of TSC farm supply store who told us that, although they are closed  tonight, they have what we need.  

Entering Canadian Soo Locks
We decided we were in no shape to spend the night in the boat on the trailer so we sought out a Comfort Inn, with a Applebee’s next door and called it a night.  Another long day.


Day 28, August 27
I didn’t sleep well.  So many things didn’t go as planned in our extraction of the boat from the water, that I spent a significant portion of the night rolling the individual problems through my mind.  When the morning finally arrive, I made a trip to the Tractor Supply Company store in the lot next to our motel and they had everything I needed to repair my broken winch cable and safety chain.  I increased the size of the cable to ¼ inch and I bought stainless steel cable that would not rust.  Back at the boat, In 20 minutes I had the winch fixed and the safety chain ready to reattach the boat but first, we still needed to move the boat further up onto the trailer.  

Boat Packaged and Ready for Ohio
We returned to the launch ramp and backed the trailer back into the water. Prior to backing up, I noticed that the centerboard was sitting hard on the roller of the trailer.  It dawned on me that I had probably not raised the board completely up thus making it really hard to drag the boat all the way up on the trailer.  Once the board was raised up, I was able to move the boat the final 6 inches needed to hook the safety chain and head for home. 

I put the truck in 4 wheel drive and pulled out off of the ramp and we headed for I-75 and Ohio.    At about 10 miles out of Sault Ste Marie traveling about 70 mph, I noticed that I had left the truck in 4 wheel drive.  I turned it off and headed south.  Twenty miles or so on down the road, we began to get a bit nervous about our fuel level.  The gauge was nearing the empty stripe and fuel stops were few and far between.  At one point I pulled off on an exit ramp hoping to see a station but none was available.  At the same time, a large tanker truck pulled out in front of us and we were amazed by the odor of old gasoline that he was giving off.  Finally about 6 miles further down the road, we pulled off at the St. Ignace exit and into a BP station.  As we stopped, I realized that that odor of old gasoline was still with us.  I raised the hood and the driver’s side of the engine and inner fender were covered with what I assumed was gasoline. 

To make a long story short, I took it to a garage in St Ignace and we found that my driving at highway speed had overheated the front differential and had blown a significant amount of oil out through the vent and all over the engine.  The mechanic added a quart of differential oil, charged us $50.00 and sent us on our way. 

We had spent about 2 ½ hours in the repair process and it appeared that Ann Arbor, Michigan would be a logical stopping point for the night.  Our good friends, Judy and Dwight Saunders are there and we met them for an enjoyable dinner at a local steak house.  After dinner, we found a Comfort Inn and again, crashed for the night.


Day 29, August 28
We were back on the road heading for Somerset at around 8:00 and for once, had a totally uneventful trip all the way.  We got home at about 1:30 and found 2 totally ecstatic dogs providing a very warm welcome.

I need to add a brief story of a happening that occurred as we drove from Sault Ste Marie to Houghton.  A bit of History:  In the late 1940s, my Uncle Jim Holekamp, a forester, took a job near the town of Champion Michigan.  He moved his wife and two young children, my cousins Jay and Fran, to a small primitive cabin on the shores of Lake Michigamme. 
  According to my Aunt Phyllis, who recently celebrated her 92nd birthday, it was quite a grueling existence and, in fact, when my grandfather went to visit them, he insisted that my Uncle Jim take his young family out of that environment and back to Marquette and civilization. 
Prior to their move, our family, who lived in Missouri at that time, drove to visit them.  I was a pre-schooler but have vague memories of the neat north woods and the wonderful lake on which we camped while there.  A few years later, probably when I was 8 or 9, or family again returned to Champion and Lake Michigamme along with our next door neighbors and dear friends, the Williams.  We took two cars, our family of 4 in one car and the Williams family of 6 in the other.  I have more memories of that trip.  One memory involved a walk to Champion along a dirt road that ran from the lake to town.  Young Paul Williams, 2 years younger than I were dispatched to walk to town to get something important like a pack of chewing gum.  (To this day, Paul and I insist that the trip was designed to get us of our parent’s hair for a significant amount of time.)  I remember the walk and vividly remember that when we arrived in the town, the sidewalks were imprinted with “Don’t Spit On The Sidewalk.” Paul doesn’t remember that impressive fact!  I told him that I remembered that we spit on every imprint that we saw!

Sidewalk in Champion
Now, as we heading for Houghton on our trip to get our truck, we passed through the town of Champion and we pulled off into the nicely developed state park that now encompasses the camp grounds in which we stayed years ago.  I clearly remember the sights of the area where we camped.
 
While in the park, I called my dear neighbor, Mrs. Roach (whom I call “Mom Williams”) who recently turned 90 years old and told her that I was sitting in the campground on Lake Michigamme and for the next 20 minutes we shared fond memories of the trips that we took so many years ago.  As you can imagine, it was quite an emotional experience for the both of us.  She insisted that I call her son, Paul, and carry forward the conversation.  I did indeed call Paul and we laughed and compared notes, mainly about the walk to town.

I later went back to the ranger station and asked if the back road to Champion still existed and she said yes and it is still gravel.  Janine and I drove the road, measured the distance (1.6 miles one way) and searched the old sidewalks of the town for the imprinted signs.  We didn’t see any, but I stopped and asked a young fellow if he had seen any of the signs and he said, “No, not on the street sidewalks, however, there was one on the sidewalk that leads to the old high school.  We stopped in front of the old building and, sure enough, about ½ way up the walk we found one.

We had a really great trip and have hundreds of pictures that I which I could have shared on this blog.  We would love to show them to you sometime in the future.  Let us know

No comments:

Post a Comment